Thursday, November 13, 2008

Be Fair

I do not discuss politics with people who don't agree with me. Whether it's my nature to be non confrontational, my laziness, or a combination of both, I cannot tell for sure. One thing I do understand is people. I know why they are against gay marriage. Religion is often used as the reason why people are against gay marriage or gay people in general. The real truth is that it just doesn't feel right to them, what one journalist called the "ick" factor. I understand that. I grew up with that. If I weren't gay, my gut feeling would probably be to agree that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

I'm sure that's what people felt in 1967 about interracial marriage. Gut feel: it's wrong. But aren't human beings defined more by their intellect and their compassion. Our own parents probably felt the "ick" factor seeing interracial marriage, believing it was "wrong" and "unnatural". Yet we know now that it is NO BIG DEAL. Not right, not better, not threatening to our culture. If you were alive then, which side would you have been on? Would you have let your "ick" factor, even if validated by religious beliefs, keep you from doing what you now know to be fair?

And it really is just about fairness. Two adults want a chance for love. To have what everyone else has. Why pick and choose which religious doctrine to fight and which to ignore? Divorce is a BREAK of the sanctity of marriage yet there are no movements to ban that.

I do understand homophobia. I grew up in it, my religion preached it, my family taught it to me, and I still have it. But I know what is fair. Marriage for all is fair.

1 comment:

Lani said...

Well-said Mike.