Friday, February 09, 2007

Mugsy Update


Mugsy with Ball
Originally uploaded by Mike Dec.
In the middle of my two week vacation in the Philippines, I learned that Mugsy had suffered from apparent sudden paralysis. Phone calls with friends and the consulting vet revealed that he had apparently ruptured a disc and would need further medical intervention. I was able to make arrangements for him to stay at my vet's office as I tried to enjoy the rest of my stay with family and friends, keeping my apprehension at bay for a full week till I could see the Mugster. I have never seen him actually cry till I picked him up at the vet's office. He was still quite ataxic but the steroids seem to have stabilized the injury. After a couple of days, it looked like he would be okay. He's back to his energetic self, with me constantly worrying he'll hurt his back again. But what kind of life would it be for him if I kept him from enjoying his life? A long time back, even before I had Mugsy, I took a course on Physical Therapy for dogs. So I dusted my book off, took a ball home from work, and we've been having daily sessions. My hands seem to work better than the ball. All the same, I think he'll be fine. Thanks to everytone for all the kind words and letters of support.

1 comment:

jenfu said...

I'm sorry to hear about Mugsy's tough few weeks. I hope he's fully recovered soon!